Do you need no-cost birth control pills, diaphragms, condoms, or other family planning services?
If you live in Texas, here are two options to consider.
You might be able to get birth control through:
- Parkland HEALTHfirst, a health plan for people on STAR (Medicaid)
- The Healthy Texas Women Program
Parkland HEALTHfirst family planning services help you to:
- not get pregnant
- plan ahead of time for a healthy pregnancy and baby
- get and stay healthy for any children you already have
What does the HEALTHfirst plan cover at no cost?
- prescription and contraceptive (birth control) supplies
- birth control pills
- pregnancy tests
- tubal ligation, which is permanent birth control (must be age 21 or older)
- a yearly check-up
- lab tests
- an office or clinic visit for a health or family planning problem, counseling, or advice
Do I need a doctor’s referral or permission from my parents?
No. You do not need a referral from your primary care provider to receive family planning services or supplies.
If you are under age 21, you can get family planning services or supplies on your own. You do not need to get permission from a parent.
Where can I get birth control supplies and services through Parkland Community Health Plan?
You can get family planning services:
- from your primary care provider
- from any family planning provider in our provider directory
- by calling Parkland HEALTHfirst Member Services:
Healthy Texas Women Program
Healthy Texas Women offers family planning services and supplies to eligible women at no cost.
Some of these services and supplies include:
- birth control pills
- birth control patch
- vaginal ring
- contraceptive shot
- intrauterine devices (IUD)
- male or female condoms
- cervical cap
- tubal ligation
Who can apply for family planning services through Healthy Texas Women?
Women can apply for family planning benefits if they:
- are a resident of Texas
- are 64 or younger
- do not have health insurance
- have an income that is the same as or less than 250 percent of the amount allowed for your household as stated in the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Where can I learn more and apply?
To get started, click here to visit the Healthy Texas Women website.
Complete your annual health risk assessment — earn $20 in Parkland rewards!
As a Parkland Community Health Plan member, you can earn reward points for completing certain wellness activities. Then, you can spend those points on items in the Rewards Catalog.
Want to earn $20 in reward points? Simply complete a yearly Health Risk Assessment on the Member Portal. You will receive your reward points in about three months.
How to Choose a Medicaid Plan for Your Family
You applied for Texas Medicaid. Your application was approved. And that’s great news. You are one step closer to better health for yourself and your family. But there are a few more steps you need to…
Plan Now for Back to School Health Checkups, Vaccines—and More
It’s time to get your child ready for back to school. Whether that means daycare, preschool, or K-12, Parkland HEALTHfirst (STAR Medicaid) and KIDSfirst (CHIP) can help!…