Get Help for Drug and Alcohol Addiction Post Header Image

Get Help for Drug and Alcohol Addiction

People of all ages and backgrounds become addicted to drugs and alcohol. This includes illegal drugs, such as cocaine and heroin. It also includes abusing prescription drugs, such as opioid pain medication or stimulants.

If you are addicted to drugs or alcohol, you are not alone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one in six Americans reports they had this struggle, also called “substance use disorder.”

  • Not being able to reduce or stop using, even if you want to quit.
  • Needing to use more and more to get high.
  • Using drugs or alcohol before or at school or work.
  • Stealing to pay for drugs or alcohol.
  • Having problems with loved ones because of your drug or alcohol use.

One easy first step toward the path to recovery is to take this simple online assessment.

Another important step is to get help through your HEALTHfirst (STAR Medicaid) or KIDSfirst (CHIP) benefits.

Parkland Community Health Plan has partnered with Carelon Behavioral Health to offer mental health and substance use benefits.

To learn more about the help available to you, call Carelon Behavioral Health at 1-800-945-4644.


Outpatient treatment is common for substance use disorders. It typically includes counseling, case management, education, and recovery skills training.

Intensive Outpatient 

If you receive Intensive Outpatient services, you might have individual, group, and family therapy sessions. In most cases, you will go to these sessions several days each week.

Withdrawal Management 

Also known as detoxification or “detox,” withdrawal management treatments help you to stay safe if you experience illness or other symptoms when you decrease or stop a substance. This could include medical and mental health checkups, having a doctor monitor you, receiving medication, and getting other supportive care.

Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT)

Some people with substance use disorders receive Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT). During their treatment, they go to therapy sessions and also receive medication to help manage cravings and support them in recovering from their addiction.

Inpatient Care 

If you are at high risk for medical problems from using or withdrawing from a substance, you might receive care in a hospital.

It’s important to remember that substance use disorders are treatable. Get started on your recovery as soon as you think you might need help.

Carelon Behavioral Health is here to help you with behavioral health treatment for:

  • Alcohol and drug use
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • ADHD

You do not need approval for individual, family, or group therapy. Also, you do not need a referral from your regular doctor.

English/Spanish interpreter services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

HEALTHfirst (STAR Medicaid) / KIDSfirst (CHIP): 1-800-945-4644 


Parkland Community Health Plan